3/06/2011

Cardiff

2

As I told in the previous post, my plans for the weekend were to go to Cardiff, which I did. So now I want to give an update of my life in here, which is just undescribable.

Okay, firstly. I hate the plugs in here. They look nice and it's great that UK has something like this remained and hasn't become global about it. But still... All the plugs that I have, don't function- they are too loose and it's a very big problem for the batteries of my phones and computer. It's a headache right now, but I'll try to figure something out soon.

Then. I feel a bit alone in here these days. I mean, my co-EVS hasn't arrived yet, which means that I'm completely alone in my so-called apartement part of the house. It's very silent in here and I feel a bit lonely. That just makes me miss Estonia more. I'm this kind of person who doesn't stand to be alone even for 15mins, so it's kind of a challenge to me.

Oh, people in here are so friendly. Today when I came back from Cardiff and was at the Weston bus stop and looked for the bus times then one lady asked me whether I need any help. She came with the same bus as me so we talked a while. And it's not just that lady. Everywhere I go, people are so helpful about everything. And pleasant. This is one of the things that I am going to love the most in here, I guess.

But now. About my trip to Cardiff. Or actually, I will talk first about Friday and what I did. In the morning I was helping John at the computer room. The main purpose of it is for me to spend more time with residents to get to know them faster and better. So, I was helping one of the residents to play some games in the computer and the other one with making greeting and thank-you cards. It was very lovely because I got to know the people and they asked me a lot about Estonia. In the afternoon I went to one town close to Wells for shopping with one of our heads, Keith. We went to Tesco's. It's amazing how you can find absolutely everything from one shop- clothes, mobile phones, electrical devices, food, drinks. And it's a very big selection of things in those shops. I got my British phone number, too. With us was one resident also, so after shopping we went for a cup of cofee. We had lots of fun talking about blondes, comparing Britain and Estonia. It was really great and the sun was shining and it was warm outside. The son of Keith plays guitar and maybe if I've got enough money, I will take some lessons from him. But I will see that in the further future.

After I got back from shopping I had a quick shower and then went to Weston train station with John, out head of IT. I catched a train to Cardiff Central. It was surprising that trains go from here to Cardiff straight and I don't have to change in Bristol. So, during the whole train trip, I was smiling a lot, because I was so exited about Cardiff and seeing G again after such a long time. When I got to the Central then I got a bit lost and went out from the station from the wrong side, but we solved the problem fast. G came to the station because obviously I knew nothing about Cardiff and had no idea where to go. We started walking from the station to G's place and on our way to his place, we went to 3 different pubs. In here they have different types of beer, and what we in Estonia call beer, is lager in here. I'm only getting to know the beer-system in here, so I can't tell more about it right now. Anyway, G lives about 15mins from the central. When we finally got to his place, it was pretty late. I was tired but then I handed him over Vana Tallinn and sinep and Estonian Chocolate and the socks that Judith sent. He was so happy about it! So we talked a lot about what has happened in Estonia so far and listened to music and drank Vana Tallinn also. It was so great to see G again. He is the part of Estonia, that's located closest to me and every time I see him, I feel like home, wherever I am. So we stayed up pretty late catching up with each other's lives. The following morning we slept very late because of the effects of Vana Tallinn and the fact that we had stayed up late. By the lunchtime G made some salad of his style and we ate and went to explore Cardiff. This city is very beautiful. I really like the fact that there are people walking around all the time. The architecture of the town is very modern mostly, and there are a lot of weird-looking houses. I saw the Millenium house, the castle in the central. So after that we went to Cardiff bay. G told me about it's history and we walked aroung there. It was really beautiful. It was sunset and everything was so calm. The sky was clear and there weren't many people walking around. Near the bay there's the Roald Dahl Plass where is one really big water statue. And the Plass itself is very big, there's a concert hall in one edge of it, the other edge is the bay. The Plass is basically built on the bay so in the middle of it is a whole-alike thing where people can throw cents into and make a wish. I didn't want to wish anything because right now I've got everything I need but then G gave me one coin... So I made a wish...
Almost on the edge of the Plass is one merry-go-round which reminded me of the vision I get from "Mad world" song. Really fascinating.
After being on the Plass, we walked around on the bay and talked and saw different statues and one Norwegian Church. G told me it's his favourite building of Cardiff, because it's very simple and not some kind of modern architecture that's everywhere. The church looked typically Northern-European to me.
After a walk on the bay we went to one pub next to the Plass and stayed there for a while. I like British pubs, they are so cosy and there are so many people in them. What's interesting is that the bigger amount of the visitors were guys. Or actually most of the visitors were guys. It was still pretty early when we left the pub to catch the bus to the central. It was about 8 so when we got to the central we walked around a bit. G showed me the library building which has a very weird statue in front of it. It's some kind of a round wheel-alike thing (although very thin) and it has one other pen-alike thing supporting itself on the round thing. It was weird but looked actually beautiful to me.
When we finally got to G's place, we watched "The Social Network". It was very cosy and we were very tired. I slept through half of the movie. Then we went to sleep.
Waking up is hard to do... This song describes both mornings I would say.
Today morning wasn't this kind of relaxing and laying in the bed morning because I had to catch train back to Weston. So me and G ate and looked at the train times. And just hung around. Coming back to Axbridge wasn't as easy as going to Cardiff, because it was Sunday and then the public transport doesn't go that often. I had to change trains in Bristol. Luckily I didn't have to wait and the trip was fast. I got to Weston exactly before the bus to Axbridge left, so it was comfy to come back here also.
I walked around Axbridge a bit and then got to St. Michael's house.

It was a very lovely weekend that I had. Being together with G is always like home. It's great to have one of your best friends so close that you can always meet up and have fun and talk. Especially in the beginning when I don't know anybody...

Pictures: the first two are of Axbridge, the 3 following ones are St. Michael's (my home) and then there are Cardiff pictures.

2 comments:

Gerda said...

MA-RI-A!!!!! O my god, I am jealous!

:D

Pluxu™ said...

I'm so glad you could visit your friend. I hope you and Vero can meet up also. Have lots and lots of fun...and try not to do everything.


Love you =)