3/08/2011

Are the beginnings supposed to be that hard?

3

I mean, I shouldn't complain or anything but seriously. I could have never imagined that the beginning of my EVS will be so hard. I'm the first EVS volunteer in here and I just got today some kind of a sheet where I have to fill in my working hours. Are EVS people supposed to do that? I mean, all that matters, is that I will be work on time and will do my hours and will have 2 days off each week plus 2 days off per month plus bank holidays. But they seem to count my free time in minutes. At least that's what the registration lady told me.... Oh well, I will sort it out with my mentor probably tomorrow.
Then... I can't do a lot of things in here. My opportunities to do anything with the residents are strictly written down in British law which doesn't allow me to do anything before I have received special trainings. And well, of course I can't do much in here because the people in here aren't very active anyway. So... Right now I feel like being tied up in ropes. And I can't feel that I make the most efficient work in here.
What's more. Everybody in here are so helpful and nice and welcoming, but.... After my workday ends, I have nothing to do. Or to be more specific, I have no-one to do anything with. I've got a guitar in here, books, movies etc. But I live basically in one part of the building on my own right now. I feel lonely, because in the evenings there are no activities going on, workers are mostly devoted to taking care of the residents, and residents don't seem to be very talkactive either. I guess I have to try more. But still... All the people I know, go away from the building after their workday ends. They have their own lives to live. And I have mine, which right now includes a lot of time on my own that I can't handle very well. I need communication!
And well, Skype doesn't replace live humans. So yeah... I'm desperately waiting for my co-EVS to arrive. I don't know what I would do if she didn't come.

But what more....
Oh yeah, I got trained yesterday on how to wash my hands properly. Kinda funny but actuall makes sense. I had some kind of fluid on my hands that could be seen by UV-lamp. So I washed my hands and looked at them after with the UV-lamp to check how well I got the liquid off. There is a special technique and moves for washing your hands....
And today I learnt about moving and handling, which basically means lifting people and pushing wheelchairs. That's something that should be done in the village. Sure as hell.
I also know now more about fire safety, infection control, the law and some more stuff.

At least the things I learn are very interesting.

Oh, did I already mention that I have almost no possibilities to cook in here? I have only got a microwave and a toaster and a kettle. But whenever I visit G, I can cook there. He allows me, I asked. At least that's better than nothing....

Enough of complaining.

I'm not some whining old lady. It will get better.
I should have just expected it a bit more and prepared myself for those things a bit more.

At least I can speak the language.

3 comments:

Kerttu said...

Kui sa tagasi jõuad, siis me lubame käia meie pool kasvõi igal õhtul meile süüa tegemas, ära muretse ;)

Asi läheb tõesti paremaks vaid.

Maria, ma tapaks, et ma saaks praegu olla niisama, raamatute, filmide, sarjade ja muuga... või nojah, ole õnnelik, et sul on seda vabadust hetkel iseendaga koos aega viita. Ma tean, et kehv lohutus, kuid siiski.

Igatsen.

Pluxu™ said...

I know how you feel...
Kuigi minu puhul on see mu enda süü, et...
Nojah.

Aga palju kallistusi sulle sinna kaugele ja pea vastu! See on alles algus, kindlasti läheb paremaks <3

Kaie said...

Hang in there... Fight-o!!
Esimene kuu on ilmselt raske, aga varsti oled ära harjunud...
Ma tean, et sa tead seda tegelikult...

Lihtsalt...
Sa oled kallis. :)