9/10/2011

Summer=Autumn=Winter=???=rain

2

You wouldn't believe what I am going to tell you now but I can guarantee that it's true. At least according to the news and scientists. Well. This summer was the coldest of the last 18 years in the UK. It seems that I picked the right summer to be here.... I have probably never seen that much rain in one summer during my whole life, that I saw here. And now, as September began, locals told, that it should be nice.
Well. It's pretty warm in here. And humid. When I went to the leisure centre on Thursday it felt like I was exercising in sauna. It was so wet and hot. 19 degrees outside (in Fahrenheit it makes 68 degrees - yes I have learnt to calculate temperature into Fahrenheit - double the celsius temperature and add 30). And then there is a hurricane rushing towards UK. It's called Katie and it hasn't hit any land yet- it was formed across the Atlantic and in the beginning was supposed to hit USA but then changed it's direction and is heading here now. Probably will get here tomorrow night. They promised 50ft waves in the seaside and 80mph wind (35 m/s). I have never seen this strong wind. Should be interesting.

So much of the warm September.

Right now I have almost no plans (except Cardiff in the beginning of Oct and hopefully Scotland in the beginning of November). I guess Scotland will stay my last big trip in this country. I'm not bothered enough to travel around too much and I also want to save some money for Estonia. I'll probably still go to Cardiff couple of times and Bradford once, too, but I think that's about it. Only local trips to Bristol, Bath, Weston.

I just borrowed some books from library and will start to remind all the psychology stuff because school and my research is not far away any more. Today, when I wanted to borrow the books, I found out that the system had changed into automatic. So- I lent books through a machine. I have never done anything like this before and it worked fine. I didn't even need any assistance. And also in the shop- I paid in cash into a machine- self-service one. I wish Estonia had developed so far that all the shops have self-services and libraries too. (Actually I think the university library is self-service, or am I wrong?)

I got myself new trainers so now I'm gonna work out nicely. Also the guitar.

Work is the same as usual.

Last week one of my co-workers told me that I am always so happy and enthusiastic and she didn't understand how I can be like this. So I explained her that in this job most of the people are too frustrated about the rules and health and safety and paperwork that they simply don't have time to smile. Or they just aren't bothered enough. But I am here for the residents and work with them all the time and if no-one else is happy then there has to be at least one. And if I'm not happy and smily all the time then who else will be? I make other people happier and try to bring some sunshine into the people's lives. That's what I'm here for.
Being unhappy or just boring means that I'm not giving my best for my work to be good.
And also, I can't bring my personal life into my work. So, when I go to work- the moment I step into the house, I leave my personal life issues behind the main entrance and they will stay there until I go out from the house again after my work finishes.

It's nice to hear from people that I'm different from all the volunteers that have worked here before because I'm so happy and enthusiastic all the time. It makes me try even harder :)

I just watched new Dr. Who episode and ate some mushroom sauce with potatoes and Estonian spices. I am satisfied and will be lazy today.

Maybe I'll do some more things tomorrow, but it depends on the weather.
The blackberries are now completely ready and apples should be ready, too.
I will go and pick some tomorrow.

But right now I'll start reading one of my psychology books and will try to educate myself.

Good night.

2 comments:

Pluxu™ said...

Yes, the University of Tartu Library has an automatized lending system. And also the Lembitu Konsum has one automatic cash register. I have not yet used it, but my brother (11) and sister (14) bought from it just last month.
It is good that you are happy and energetic and positive. And also that you are able to leave all your personal problems when working. That is a very good trait, specially for your line of work. And also for psychology, that you were studying before.
I do hope that Katie won't cause much trouble in England.
The apples have ripened here in Estonia too. Too early according to some. I don't know much about blackberry, as I have never even been able to see it in the nature. Never have been out there at the correct time I suppose. But the Blueberry bushes have been picked empty by now with the occasional berry or two.

the secret word is amonegin

Maria said...

Yeah, I know about the Konsum till, but it's the only one I know about. And so I can say that it's rare in Estonia. In here they are even in the tiniest shops. And the one in the uni- I think I tried it once over there and it didn't work properly or it just didn't like me.

And yeah, blackberries are everywhere in here.