9/15/2011

470 ml in 4 mins 21 sec.

0

I went to donate blood today in this country for the first time.

Firstly, you had to book an appointment to do it, so I had one. Secondly, I had to go there by bicyle because that was my only form of transportation.
But....

In comparison to donating in Estonia, I can say that it was a bit funny experience in here.
Firsly, when I stepped into the house it was a usual house which was turned into donation centre just for one day. It looked like some kind of hospital for the wounded people during war time. The people were laying on the donation beds and nurses were walking around in long uniforms and there were medical things everywhere. The place was full of people.
Then, to measure my hemoglobine rate, they didn't do the test with the machine but had some kind of liquid where they put my blood into and it just sunk to the bottom. And if it hadn't sunk then they would've done the test with the machine.
When I donated blood, they didn't measure my blood pressure. Oh and when they took the blood from my finger to test hemoglobine rate, the took the blood from the right hand and middle finger. In Estonia they take it from the 4th finger of the left hand.
Anyway, they took 470 ml's and the time for this was 4:21 for me. Really nice and quick. And then they thought in the beginning that I was first time donating, but I told that I've done it around 7-8 times in Estonia. So when I had given my blood one of the nurses came and gave me the bronze certificate and a pin that I can fasten to my jacket. Because it was about the 1oth time for me to donate blood. Lovely :) I quite like England now.
Oh yes, almost forgot- they didn't manage to get the needle into the vein at the first trial so they had to move the needle around in my hand a little bit. It hurts at the moment a little bit and I think I might have a bruise tomorrow. But well, never mind. At least I got to donate blood!

Anyway. I feel really good right now. Cycled back home after the donation and well, I feel as good as I usually feel after donating, so everything's cool.



Oh and when I came home then my Estonian friends told me that there is a picture of the Into-the-wild guy I had met in the pub in Tartu (my hometown, pub is named Zavood) right before I left. It's silly that he didn't contact me through the email I gave him, but well, how often would you contact a drunken woman who says that they live in another country? Anyway, I now know his name- it's Mattias.

Would be nice to get in touch with him. He seems to be a very interesting guy. Well, maybe when I get back home and will go to the pub again, I will see him. Hopefully. Fingers crossed.

And also. I have to mention that I'm really happy here. I've met some really nice people and life is just beautiful. And the weather seems to get a bit better, too. We have some sun and it feels like a typical autumn. Only the leaves on the trees are still greenish. Soon it will be colourful, too. Can't wait!

0 comments: