1/31/2011

I feel it in my fingers, I feel it in my toes.....

0

spring is all around me, and so the feeling grows....
I am making my own version of this song now as they did in the "Love Actually" movie.
Today when I came to Tartu from the village, the sun was shining. And the sun was warm. It wasn't the cold sunny typical Estonian winter day as the snow was melting a bit and I felt once again that the spring is close. In the UK there's already +5 degrees and I guess the flowers are blooming or starting to do so.
The feeling that spring is coming, is so good. You can feel the energy rushing through your body, you're smiling when you see the roads that are almost clean from the snow or have wet snow on them. It's not muddy yet, but it's not a lot of snow everywhere either. The perfect warm winter weather. You feel like you could do everything now. It's like waking up from a long sleep or dream. It's probably typical for Estonians that when winter comes, they become more closed up and smile a lot less than they do in the summer. People are more tired. Well, this is actually psychological. There's a thing in our brain that's named suprachiasmatic nucleus (SCN) that stimulates in the pineal gland the synthesis of melatonin from serotonine. This synthesis is dependant on the amount of light. The less light there is, the more melatonin is produced. Production and the effects of melatonin are starting to influence us couple of hours before going to sleep and it's the duration of the influence is directly dependant on the length of the dark period. Melatonin makes people more sleepy and also reduces their body temperatures. So, the more dark time we have here in Estonia, the sleepier we are. And people don't smile often when they are tired. They just want to go to sleep.
In the spring the days are getting longer, there's not that much dark period any more and people feel like waking up. Easy logic.
That's why this sunny, warm, spring-alike weather makes me feel the way I do. I get hints that it's time to wake up. Time to live more than ever.
Which I shall do with my greatest pleasure.


0 comments: