8/11/2011

Forest of Dean, Littledean and Gloucester

0

On the last weekend I had a small trip to see some of the volunteers who live in a place called Littledean. It's located right next to the Forest of Dean and close to Gloucester. So I decided to have a look around in the city and see the cathedral. Firstly, I started my day with cycling to Weston. Then I catched a train to Bristol, where I changed it to go to Gloucester. When I got there I discovered it's really easy to walk around there- it had signs for tourists everywhere. And the central was tiny. So I went straightaway to see the cathedral. I saw the places where some parts of Harry Potter was filmed. The cathedral was nice, but nothing too spectacular compared to the ones I have seen already. But I still enjoyed it. And it was huge and majestic. After seeing the cathedral I went towards the docks and then discovered I had a message from Boris, a French volunteer who also came to visit Littledean. So I went and met him and we went once again to the Cathedral. On that day I managed to go to the cathedral 4 times.
Me and Boris walked around in the city, had a lunch in Wetherspoons and then met Elif (Turkish volunteer living 15min from Gloucester) and the new volunteers for her project. After talking to them shortly we all headed towards the coach station and took buses to our destinations.


Littledean is lovely. It's on the hillside and it's really rural. But nicely. As it's time for all the fruits to get ready you could pick plums from the trees and eat blackberries also. And the house of the volunteers was on the hillside, so you could see very far- about 20 miles or maybe even more? Anyway, the volunteers had a really nice big house- 4 floors and loads of space. Huge kitchen with all the necessary equipment. We had a walk around in the area to eat some fruits and then prepared a supper which was all made out of fresh vegetables that were organic and grown by the volunteers themselves during their project. Nice.... :)
In the evening we played poker and sooner than you could think it was already late night and we went to sleep.


The following day we went to Asha centre where the volunteers worked. We walked aroung with Marta and Hugo, because Laura and Quang Hai weren't that much into walking around. On our trip to Asha Centre we walked through the Forest of Dean. It's so nice and big. We had some rain during our walk but none of us minded it. We picked some garlic mustard and I've got some seeds at home now. :) Forest of Dean has lots of pine trees in it and also many old oak trees. Big, beautiful! I just loved it! I had a little bit of magical feeling while staying in the forest. And I also decided I would like to make a hiking trip into the forest. Trying to talk G into this now ;)


In the Asha Centre we ate lots of plums and berries and also picked some vegetables to eat lunch. It was a quick lunch because I had to catch a bus- it was Sunday, so the buses didn't go very often. I made a crown out of cornflowers :) After the meal we rushed to the bus stop and Laura and Quang Hai and Larissa (some girl who stayed in the volunteers home for a month for some project) brought me my backpack quickly. So all the volunteers sent me away.
I travelled to Weston by train. From Weston I cycled home. I got soaking wet because it started pouring water. Nice preparation for my bicycle trip that I'll start tomorrow. :)

But I know one thing- those volunteers are amazing and I really hope to see them all again. :) I don't know when or where, but I will meet them again!
And I will also go back to the Forest of Dean.

0 comments: