7/06/2011

The best feeling in the world.....

0

.... is to come home after you've been away for a long time. Especially if you are welcomed the way I was.

Firstly, when I crossed the border of Estonia and Latvia, the sun was setting. It was the most beautiful sunset I have ever witnessed in my entire life. It was the Estonian sunset.
Then, I saw some old remainings of the buildings and also some apartements from the Soviet-era. Yes, I got home. I was so happy to see those buildings and drive in the beautiful sunset. I have never considered such tiny things so important, but they are. I was also happy to see the pine trees because I don't have them in my place in UK.

Then, I got to Tartu. And when the bus came to a halt in the coach station, my friends were already waiting over there. With a big sign saying "Be welcome, Maria". And they all had kohuke in their hands. I felt like a movie star. They took pictures when I stepped off the bus and hugged me. I have never felt so good before. I had no breath (and I'm not exaggerating) and was drowning of tears of joy. Seeing my friends made me feel as if I had never been away. And have felt like this during my whole visit so far. It's just too good.

Then I went to the village. I stepped into Sõbra maja and they were having dinner at the same time. One of the inhabitants just jumped up and hugged me so hard, didn't say a thing and just hugged me for a long time. A lot of people hugged me the same way. In the beginning the village seemed like some strange place and I felt that I had been away. But then, after couple of hours it was all the ways the same as before. And everybody told me that they felt I had never been away. I felt the same.

And I had the same feelings when I got home, went to see my friends in Võru and saw my relatives also. I hadn't been away.


And now, that I'm about to go back to UK, I don't feel sad about going away. I will be gone for 7 months. I know that while I am staying in there, the time can go slowly. And I know I will miss home. But I also know the feeling that I will have when I come back. I also know what's going to happen in the UK. I know everything. And the knowlegdge, that everything (almost) will be the same when I come home, that people are waiting for me to come and that I have so many friends in here waiting for me and wishing the best for me, will cheer me up. I might cry when I leave, but I will handle it in the UK a lot better than I did when I went there in March.

I know that coming home is the best feeling in the world. I guess it's the thing that makes travelling so exiting and enjoyable. Coming home.

I know where my heart is.

0 comments: