1/06/2012

New Year's Eve

1

As you all know from my previous post- I had to re-organize my accommodation for the new year's eve in London. So I contacted my friend Aslihan, who I was only supposed to meet for a little while, to ask if I could stay with her and her friends. And the answer was positive.
So, on Saturday morning I went by bus to Weston and took a train to London Paddington station. I quickly topped up my oyster card and got into the tube and went to Piccadilli Circus where I met my friends. Oh, it was nice to see Asli after such a long time. 2 years, I think.
She introduced me to her Turkish friends and we went to a Turkish coffee bar in Piccadilly. Had a coffee there and then headed to the apartement where we were supposed to stay. I left my bag there and just grabbed my camera with me and then we headed towards Westminster bridge. We couldn't get to the riverside by bus because the roads were all closed so we had to walk there. Some of the areas on the riverside were closed so it took us a while to go round, past the Eye and to actually get to the bridge. We were there at about half past 8 and the bridge was already crowded. So we just stood there and took pictures.When it got cold, we started dancing. It attracted some Indian old men who came to us and didn't wanna leave. So okay, we danced a bit with them but they wouldn't go away. One man just started touching us and it was really uncomfortable and I told him to leave, but he was back 5mins later, offering us some drink which we obviously didn't accept. When we finally got rid of him, we danced around in the big wind and rain and it was great. At one point some random lad came and asked Asli for a dance but she didn't want to, so the man took me to a dance, just danced around widely and then he bowed towards me, said thanks and left. It all happened in 1 minute.

During the long waiting we called to our friends in Estonia and G to wish them a happy new year together. The Eye changed it's colours in the darkness. And we started to get more exited. We sang along to all the songs that came from the radio and then. at 23:59, the countdown to midnight started. And then- the fireworks- oh they were magnificient. Totally worth waiting 4 hrs. They lasted 10 minutes and everything was connected to the rhythm of the music that came from the speakers! Amazing. Just brilliant!
As the fireworks started to end, I noticed the annoying Indian guy staring at me. He had somehow appeared again next to us. Gosh... I was angry at him. (by the way- he was about shoulder-height to me). And after the booming ended me and my friends danced a bit and he still wanted to join us, ignoring all the signs of rejection. Finally, his friends had to drag him away.
We still had fun. As we were walking home, some people tried to kiss us, others just hugged us. Everybody were dancing and singing and it was just so much fun. And we were all sober. :) Probably lots of people thought we were drunk by looking at our behaviour. Never mind.

On the following day, Asli sent one of her friends to Victoria coach station from where she took a bus to the airport and then we went to Notting Hill alltogether and tried to find the famous bookstore. We knew it had to exist but then discovered that actually it didn't- so there was nothing in notting hill. But, we had a nice time, wandering around in the rainy London. In the evening we headed to one of Asli's Turkish friends and had a kebab and cheesecake and some Turkish tea and Coffee over there. It was lovely- I once again fell completely in love with the Turkish people. I love them anyway, but now it reminded me again, how lovely they are. We had an amazing evening and then headed back home where we went to sleep and then in the morning I came home again.

I could say that my new year's eve was just brilliant and I'm sure this year will be as brilliant as the beginning of it. :)
I gave no promises for this year, just to have fun and enjoy life :)
I know that this is a promise I can actually keep!

Happy new year, my dear friends!

1 comments:

Kerttu said...

Head uut aastat sullegi, Maria!