5/23/2011

Irritation

1

That's exactly how I feel right now. Despite the fact I had a lovely weekend. Despite the fact I'm tired. Even though I take everything that could bring be down into account, I'm still irritated.
The reason for that was today.
The morning started off and then I went to ask one of the workers in here (who I have to ask usually) if G can come for a visit the next weekend. Well, in the beginning this person assumed that it was a "she" because I didn't tell the name. Then I told that a person visiting me was a "he" and then I received a question whether G will be sleeping in my room. I told that of course- he's my visitor and I have the only spare bed in my room anyway. Then the person had a bit of a laughy look that was obviously all about "I know what you're gonna do there" and "This place is not for such things as well". I mean, what's the difference what gender my visitors will be?! I have the spare bed and we're allowed to have visitors! This attitude or the expression the person had, made me really angry for almost the whole day. I mean, am I supposed to have only female friends? Or am I allowed to have only female visitors in here? Where should I see my friends then if I can't do it here? Or if I will receive such expressions. And besides, it's still my personal life and such weird expressions aren't very professional and appropriate.
And I mean- G won't disturb anyone in here. He's not allowed to go anywhere else than just our flat area. And it's our flat area! Aren't we then allowed to be visited by our male friends? Do we have to sort our visitors? (I mean health and safety comes first, but still- we are also living in here).

Then also. Today some firemen were supposed to come and have a look around in the building and we were told 1,5 hrs earlier that they will come to our flat area as well. I didn't mind as I though I will not be there anyway. But I just got back from my step lesson and had a shower and then I was warned not to come out of the shower room because there were loads of men walking around in our corridors. It was nice to be warned. But when they started going away, I was told that too. Nice thing that I was told but then the firemen started making weird comments through the door and made jokes like I will open the door now and pushed down the handle. Very proffessional. And it's our home!
We basically are supposed to have privacy but sometimes our co-workers knock on our doors if they need us or something like that. I mean in most cases it's really friendly, but it feels like everybody can walk around in our apartement all the time. Although they don't do it, our home doesn't feel like home. And well. To just go to internet, it's better to look more official and not to come downstairs with pyjamas on. Well, we can, but it's not professional.
So we can relax only when we are in our rooms where there isn't always very much to do as there's no internet and I don't watch TV.
I don't feel so much in home in here.
All our life and things we do are controlled by rules. I can't even burn a bloody candle in my room. I can't use the water from the pipes because its not very healthy but I have to go downstairs to get water to drink. And for this I have to dress up.
I guess I'm just too tired. Tomorrow will be a better day. I hope.
Just never mind.
The project is brilliant and the place is nice and the people in here are giving their best for us to have a nice time in here.

But it's still very strict.
And our managers are really strict. I kind of fear them even. I fear that I make some mistakes and will be treated as a naughty child.
I really miss my Estonian co-workers. They were a lot more supportive and friendly. (Most of the staff is very friendly in here, but it's just some people). The fear of being judged all the time in here is really keeping me back. Some encouraging words from our managers would be really nice (I know that their job is hard and they have to be very strict, but we're still overseas volunteers who live here- they get to go home, we don't!).

Enough. I'm tired.

1 comments:

Kaie said...

Sul on põhjust olla ärritatud. Ja see on ka tore, et vaatamata negatiivsetele emotsioonidele suudad sa oma probleemi kõrvalt vaadata ning leiad, et tegu oli kehvade juhtumitega. (Muide, see tuletõrjujate asi tundus minu kui kõrvalseisja jaoks veidi naljakas :D)

Kas sul ei lubatagi G-d külla kutsuda? See oleks küll nõme. :(