12/10/2011

If one thing becomes right, then the other goes wrong....

2

I've got a nice life here and I've got friends. And until now I also had a nice work. I still have it in most ways, but I feel that even though I have the freedom to express my opinion, no one listens because I am simply a volunteer and shouldn't have a say in important things. Also, I have realized that whatever faces people make at your work (co-workers), if they aren't happy by something you say or do, they don't tell it to you, but to the manager who then goes and talks to you. And even if they have told me some rules I haven't heard of before and I understand them when they are told to me, they still tell to the managers as well, who then come and have a strickt talk to me. Why do people have to talk behind my back? When something bothers me, then I say it to the person and won't involve other people into it. But no.... this is the way things work in the UK.
And is asking 4 questions really a criss-crossing? One of our workers was off for some weeks and I asked her what was wrong with her and if she's better now and how often can she work. She didn't want to talk about it much, so I abandoned the topic. And then she went and told the managers about me criss-crossing her. She could have said straight to my face to stop asking questions. No..... Instead, she went to the manager who then came and talked to me the following day (not the same day before I went home) when I got to work that I shouldn't ask people questions. Sweet. Nice start of the day. They really don't think that things like this affect the work, do they? I'd rather have conversations like this before I go home, so it wouldn't affect my work.  And.... how am I supposed to make friends, if I am not allowed to ask questions from people or try to be compassionate.
Never mind. I've decided to just talk to most of the people about work, nothing else. Nothing about my personal life. And to follow the rules.
Sometimes I also don't know what I should do. Some workers suggest me one thing and the other tells different and then when I try to find the best way by telling to one person the suggestions I got from the other I am being told off. And if I want to explain why I was suggested this option or why it could be good, I won't be able to do it, because the person I'm talking to just says they are not interested in what other people have to say about things and suggest and that they don't care.
So what should I do? Follow the rules, not ask questions, try not to channge people's attitudes (some people have not got the proper attitude towards work or when they do something wrong and I try to help them I'm being told off because I'm simply a volunteer who knows nothing - even if I have worked in the place longer than the person I'm trying to help and know some things actually more).
So a volunteer's life- no opinion, try to make friends but don't look like you are bothered and ask questions.
Hippocrytes- they tell me I do a brilliant job and then they talk behind my back, can't say things to my face, don't let me explain why I do things the way I do and don't take my opinion into account. Oh what's more- once when one of our residents died in the hospital I found out about it during a conversation with one of my co-workers. So yes- don't tell the volunteer the information she has to know about the residents she has to work with. Because she is just a VOLUNTEER.
I like the residents I work with and some of my co-workers are nice. But this is not the place I want to work permanently. The attitudes of people are wrong for me.
But I'lll also be a hippocryte and behave the way people behave towards me. What do I have to lose? Nothing- got only 1,5 months left to work here now.
And I will make my best for the residents have a nice time 'til I'm still here.
But yeah, fuck some of my co-workers (not all of them, just those ones who talk behind my back and can't say things straight to my face).

It already feels like it's time to move on. When smaller things start to annoy me more and more and I can't do anything to change them, then it's time for me to back off. Move on to other places. Try to make a difference to someone else's lives, where I'm actually allowed to do it. In a place where the volunteers actually feel like they are part of the staff, not just some people hanging around in the place as if they've got nothing better to do. Why waste my life on things like those when there are places I could actually do something and change things?

2 comments:

Kerttu said...

See võib tõesti raske olla. Aga püüa mitte südamesse võtta :) ja vähemalt sa tead, et igal pool ei ole nii. Sa oled tubli :)
Kallid.

Pluxu™ said...

Jõudu ja jaksu sulle, kallike!
Palju palju kallisid!