5/28/2012

My first ever marathon

0

Yesterday I completed my first ever marathon, or actually half-marathon. It was on bike and the distance was 74 km.
The weather conditions for the ride were nearly perfect- sunny, some clouds in the sky, not too hot, but still a bit warm, no rain, nearly no wind. So, I started at noon and cycled from Tartu to Elva, to Pangodi, to Kambja, to Vana-Kuuste, to Ülenurme, and back to Tartu. My time was 3:22:58. It could have been better if I had practised a bit more, but I didn't so there's still a lot of space for improvement.
The marathon itself- it felt so good to cycle on the road with loads of other cyclists, take over some of them and vice versa. I realized that my bike is not too good for the highways as it develops only a certain speed and then that's it- not more. And also, 21 gears is not enough for cycling on the highways- it's just too slow and easy. I could have used 28 gears. :)
I got to Elva pretty fast, had some energy drinks for 1min and then took off again. After Elva there was a high rise and it lasted for more than 2km. It wasn't steep, but it was just constant. By the time I got to Kambja, where was the second service point, I was a bit tired already. But then I was given a big bottle of energy drink and I ate 2 pieces of banana and went on. It was uphill in the beginning, but then- about 2km only downhill. I think I might have developed the speed about 60km/h at least, maybe even more. It was so good....
The last 5km of the cycle were hard, taking into account it was in Tartu- it was wind straight to face.... But, as the finish got closer I raised my speed and finished. It was lovely! I absolutely loved that marathon and will go to another cycling marathons as well. The next one will be in September :) Thinking about doing it for the village, try to to some fundraising, perhaps. I shall see- it's something I'm gonna go to talk to my employers tomorrow.
But now, must study hard. Got exams.
And then, Riga this weekend!

0 comments: