5/13/2012

Back to school

0

So, on Friday I went to my old school to give couple of lessons to the students over there. The lessons went well- I made couple of games and talked a bit about travelling and volunteering. The students were nice as well- behaved properly and I had no problems with them. One of them started to cry when it was her turn to do sth in one of the games... Slightly odd... Although I was a bit nervous in the beginning of my first lesson, then after about 20 mins it was all fine and the lessons went well. During the breaks and after lessons all the people who participated in the project and became teachers for couple of hours, had very intellectual conversations about the school systems and what should be changed. It was pretty interesting to hear all of it. We were also shown around in the school (especially the new part of it) and then there was a gathering where we were given thank-you-certificates for participating and the students performed to us as well.
There is an exhibition about the creations of the former students in the school and one part of it are some videos that were shot a while ago. To my greatest surprise, I discovered myself in one of the videos (couldn't even remember doing it) from 2005. It was some kind of a video against drug use and our group had formed a party which promoted clean life with no drugs and gave loads of election promises. Obviously. most of them haven't become true (though there were some that are done by now.... funny).
It was so weird to be back in Rõuge. I never miss the place. I only have my parents and sis living there and youth club and one good friend. And that's it. Most of my good friends are in Tartu as I moved away from Rõuge when I was 16.  I always just drive though Rõuge to go home. Never go anywhere there. And now I was back in my old school. And all the corners I saw, all the places, footpaths etc. Everything I saw reminded me of sth. It was a bit sad feeling- I'll never get those times back. Places where I used to wait for the school bus, walk home, play games, go to local library, have P.E. lessons, go skiing, skating,  play cards during the breaks. It all felt so much like home. And all the people as well- I mean, they are all the people I have done something together with, have something in common. Local principal is a member of our youth club, I've travelled abroad with our headmaster. They are all somewhat of a friends to me. It's so weird. I don't look up towards our principals any more, not scared of any of them. They are all just like me.
After the school I popped into my youth club as well (interesting, how every time I go to Rõuge I usually do sth in the youth centre, I always go there... I never did that before).
And after the school event I went to my friends' birthday - the only person from my basic school who I actually have remained good friends and who has stayed in Rõuge.... (another one is in Finland now).
It was just a very busy day. In the evening I went back to work...

Friday was an extremely thought-provoking day.

0 comments: