4/08/2011

Leeds

0

I finally had my on-arrival training. It took place in Leeds and lasted for three days altogether.
Our day started pretty early- woke up at 5:15 to get ready and take the bus to Weston from where we were supposed to change to train which went to Bristol Temple Meads. In there we changed again and took a train to Leeds. When we finally arrived to Leeds, we got lost on our way to the hotel. Although we had directions with street names.... Hmmh. As I was in charge of me and Gaye going to the hotel, (I had directions written down), it seems, that I have no sense of directions. Obviously. We arrived at the hotel just in time to get dinner. Which were sandwiches..... But... From the very first moment we had fun. In our training there were altogether 21 volunteers including us. There were people from Italy, Spain, Portugal, Turkey, Austria, Germany, Denmark, France. I now know people in Leeds, Newcastle, Gloustershire, near Bristol, Brighton, London and it's surroundings. Very goood.
During our on-arrival we talked about british culture, the flags, places to visit, cheap ways of travelling, language and talking with hands (we found out that there's more than one way to say f**k you with hands), dialects, food, our projects. It was a very useful and informative training. I can say that I liked it a lot.
And in the evenings we went to pubs. I tried for the first time in here the dark ale, which I now like a lot more than lager. I absolutely love ale. It's really sad we don't have it much in Estonia.
I found out that the pubs close in most of the places in UK around 11pm. Which is funny.
But we found one jazz club which was opened until 2am. It was really good to go out and have fun. I really loved Leeds. It is a busy city with beautiful architecture. I can't say if I'd like to live there but for some weeks I would like to stay there. I loved the fact that everything was busy. Not calm and relaxed as my life has been for the past month. It's really good that I had a chance to live again the life in the way that I am used to. Now that I know some volunteers, I will do it more. Definetely.
At the moment I'm back in Axbridge and have to get used to the quiet lifestyle. Again. I mean, I don't mind it, but some action would be nice at least once a week. That's why I love cities. They are busy. Everybody are doing something and heading somewhere. People don't care what you do or where you go. Nobody asks about you and starts talking to you in the bus. Everybody are focused on themselves and moving and getting to their destination. I like this kind of business. I don't have to talk to everybody all the time which I have done a lot in here. I don't mind it, but sometimes the difference is good.
I also tasted marmite. Uhmmm. I don't like it. At all. It's like liquorice- 50% of the people love and 50% of the people hate it. I don't like it.
But I liked the Scottish coca-cola- the dandelion soft drink. Most of the people didn't like it. To me it reminded a little bit of Kali, so I loved it.
I'm really happy that this on-arrival took place.
Although I miss home, I'm already making plans on places to visit. I should probably print out a map and mark the places I want to visit. So I won't miss anything.

Big credits to Elif, who made the pictures that I'm using in this post.






0 comments: